Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Terminal Services over VPN

From: "Geoffrey Shorter" <geoffreyshorter () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:54:13 -0400

David:

We use Terminal Services over a Cisco VPN and have great success with it. I am working from home using that right now. (I know you specified Microsoft VPN server in your question, but I thought I'd answer anyway...)

We have some remote users who, when they come into our main office, complain about the slowness of one of our main applications, because they are used to using Terminal Services remotely and it is as fast or faster than running a fat client in the office. (Sad, but true.)

Terminal Services will encrypt the sessions if you set it to do so on the server side. There's a checkbox, offhand don't remember where....

There are other security considerations when running Terminal Server -- don't use the default port, enable network root lockout, etc. -- numerous books address those issues including the Hacking series of books.... Certainly I would not call it exactly secure out of the box... :)

geof