Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Terminal Services over VPN

From: Tomasz Barbaszewski <tomekb () aba krakow pl>
Date: 27 Aug 2003 12:15:30 -0000

Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 15:42:42 -0400
From: "David Y. Ng" <dng () cmhsweb org>
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Terminal Services over VPN

We are using IPSec in order to protect RDP transmissions.
There is one trick - the best way is to do it in additional device.
Personally we prepared LINUX+Free S/Wan box, which act as IPSec Gate
between Thin Clients (equiped with IPSec) and MS Server.
Result is very good. Server is working as usuall (w/o any changes), but
all transmissions RDP Client to the IPSec Gate Box (it is standing on the
server) are encrypted (even AES is possible).
Solution is VERY FAST. We had testing over 100 simultaneous connections.
You can use also CISCO, but it offer ~900 kpbs (w/o hardware acc.), but
with Embedded Linux/Free S/Wan box you can reach easily 15-50 Mbps (I mean
of course encrypted traffic).
Similar idea is published as a SINA project in Germany (www.bsi.bund.de).

Best regards

Tomasz
Has anyone used Terminal Services over Microsoft's VPN
server? I need to run some program off the server and when I
used just the VPN, it was terribly slow. The solution on paper
is to run the program off Terminal Services and just let it
pass through the VPN which could be faster, supposedly.

Any experiences with this? Is Terminal Services in itself
secure? I read there's some form of encryption also but
is it comparable to VPN in a way?

-
--

Attend Black Hat Briefings & Training Federal, September 29-30 (Training),
October 1-2 (Briefings) in Tysons Corner, VA; the world's premier