Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Adware, spyware, and trojans

From: "KoRe MeLtDoWn" <koremeltdown () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 21:21:46 +0000

Hi Courtney,
Some interesting questions - this is something that I don't think many within the community really know the answer to. Never the less, here's what I've come up with.

1/The distinction between spyware, adware, and trojans are that they all conduct slightly different behaviour and carry out differing tasks. For example a piece of spyware is often designed to gather data on a web surfers behaviour, a trojan is designed to allow remote access to a remote user who then can carry out commands he/she normally couldn't, and adware advertises a product/website somehow on an infected machine without the express permission of the owner, and continues to do so over a period of time - often attempts to remove adware manually prove to be unsuccessful.

Hamish Stanaway

-= KoRe WoRkS =- Internet Security
Owner/Operator
http://www.koreworks.com/