nanog mailing list archives

Re: sigs wanted for a response to the fcc's NOI for faster broadband speeds

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:46:40 -0500

On 12/1/23 16:45, Shane Ronan wrote:
Unfortunately from my experience it's usually because the small local ISPs don't have the resources to understand IPv6, and may be using equipment generations old that may not support IPv6. It's the large ISPs that don't want to do it because it would increase their operational costs and require upgrades to operational systems and they see no new revenue associated.

Honestly, how old is your equipment at this point to not support IPv6 at all or usably in the data plane and in-band parts of the control plane? I wouldn't think it's even commercially relevant anymore. Pretty much anything L3 with at least 10Gb ports probably has support for most things relevant to a small local ISP.

You might be missing some niceties, but even some new stuff is missing those. The big one I've seen is a nice way to handle DHCPv6-PD delegations without having to resort to using BGP to inject the routes (looking at you, Extreme SLX).

--
Brandon Martin