nanog mailing list archives

RE: Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

From: "Alexander Kiwerski" <akiwerski () telwestservices com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:05:33 -0800

Frankly, I'm fine with 911 not working on VoIP lines; I have a cell phone
for that when needed.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever
actually dialed 911 from a land line.

You're lying on the floor incapacitated and in agony, suffering from some
acute and life threatening medical condition. Your neighbour finds you.
He picks up your landline phone, dials 911 and hears "911 service is not
available from this phone please use another phone...". He goes looking
for another phone while you die and rest in peace.

And let's not forget the:  You collapse from a heart attack at 1:00 AM, dial
911 on your cell phone and go unconscious before the operator answers.  You
die because the operator doesn't have your location auto-magically popping
up on his/her screen.

And for the record, the GPS locators currently in cell phones tend *not* to
work indoors, so even if you are lucky enough to live in an area where E911
is plugged into your cell phone carrier's locator service, you still have a
high probability of being screwed.

/Alex K.