nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:07:13 -0400

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 01:58:07PM -0800, David Barak wrote:
--- "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com> wrote:
Actually, and I think the distinction is pertinent to this
discussion, if the car has no seatbelts, you can drive it just fine
-- as long as it came that way. You can't *sell* a car without
seatbelts, anymore.

That may be the rule in Florida, but in DC, MD, and UT (the states in
which I've lived in the past 2 decades), you can be be ticketed if you
are driving a car and not wearing a seatbelt.

I'd have to check, but I believe the exemption for cars not originally
equipped in in the Federal Uniform Model Traffic Statues, which I think
the majority of states have adopted, at least in substantial part,
though IANAL.

Nope: Maryland makes the exception:

http://mlis.state.md.us/cgi-win/web_statutes.exe?gtr&22-412.3

If it wasn't manufactured with belts, you're not required to install
them, but if they're there, you do have to wear them.  I rather suspect
the other jursidictions are similar.

To make this a little bit more relevant to our VoIP/911 discussion,
would we allow a startup car company to sell something which looked
like a seatbelt, but was not crash rated above 5 mph? No, of course we
wouldn't. Would that be anticompetitive? No, it just means that to be
a startup car company, you have to meet the same safety standards as
the existing car companies.

Indeed.

If we want to take the analogy away from something which is a direct
safety issue, the exact same argument applies to emissions standards.
They're "standard" for a reason: they apply to everyone, and every car
maker must comply. (SUVs are classified as trucks, and comply with the
truck rules).

Actually, I believe most SUV's are *not* classified as light trucks,
with the exceptions of the Excursion and Hummer.

Why would these arguments not apply to VoIP?

At this point, of course, I've lost track of what the argument is, in
the delightful littls side trips.  :-)

<pinch>

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me