nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:42:25 -0500

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 05:06:00PM -0800, Bill Nash wrote:
I find this to be entertaining, since as a VOIP consumer, I'm reimbursing
my ISP for the cost of the traffic as part of my monthly tithe. Why
exactly are networks taking this stance to QoS VOIP traffic, generated by
their customers, into uselessness?

Oh, c'mon, Bill; you *know* why.  :-)

This goes back to when I ran a Teeny Tiny<tm> ISP in '95 on a 256K DSL
link and 40 modems, and got massacred by iPhone:

The carriers based their provisioning, and thus pricing, on a traffic
engineering model that was reasonable *until the Big New Application
became a runaway hit*.

You're not paying (at least at the lower levels of the food chain) for
what you *could* utilize, you're paying for what you're likely to
utilize, *given what the people who set the pricing knew at the time*.

Pricing depends on oversubscription; safe oversubscription depends on
having a pretty decent handle on the traffic patterns, at the macro
level.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                                                jra () baylink com

      If you can read this... thank a system administrator.  Or two.  --me