nanog mailing list archives

Re: Vonage Hits ISP Resistance

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <stephen () sprunk org>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:03:23 -0600

Thus spake <Michael.Dillon () radianz com>
VoIP is great. VoPI (Voice over Public Internet) is great when
it works, but I wouldn't bet my life or my business on it.

Who says that you have to disconnect your home phone
just because you use VoIP?  In fact, one of the advantages
of DSL over cable, is that the phone line is still there.
Buy a bright red "hot-line" phone, put a sticker on it
that says "For Emergencies Only!" and another one with
"911". Place it in the front hall so that any visitors
to your home see it when they enter. Disconnect the
ringer on the hot-line phone so that you aren't
disturbed by wrong numbers and telemarketers.

Then use VoIP for all your regular calls.

So you're saying everyone should continue paying $30/mo for a POTS line just
for 911 calls?  A typical Vonage customer buys the service to replace, not
supplement, their POTS line.

Frankly, I'm fine with 911 not working on VoIP lines; I have a cell phone
for that when needed.  Now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever
actually dialed 911 from a land line.

I understand the woes of mixing 911 and VoIP myself, although I'm not a
Vonage user.  The VoIP phone on my desk connects 911 calls to the Vancouver,
BC, PSAP (since it's off a PBX at work), but I also know the direct-dial
number for the local Dallas, TX, PSAP -- the emergency line, not the
"administrative" line that Vonage uses -- and if I bothered, I could easily
set the PBX to reroute 911 there instead.  Location information is tougher,
but I have to tell the operator my location on a cell phone too, so it's not
a deal-killer.

Stephen Sprunk      "Those people who think they know everything
CCIE #3723         are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
K5SSS                                             --Isaac Asimov