Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft version.binding us now?

From: billm () DANGER MS (Bill Marquette)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 19:12:04 -0500

FromF5 tech support:

    The current methods of probing that we do are an ICMP ping a UDP or TCP
1/2 open
    socket connect which we gracefully shut down after. And in the soon to
be
    released 2.1 we have added two new protocols to the list, DNS_VER and
DNS_DOT.
    The DNS_VER is what he is seeing this is a less obtrusive method of
probing an
    LDNS. It is easy to set the version type of BIND to a bogus parameter
such as
    "chaos" or "go away". We don't care what the response is we are not
looking for
    the version just the response.

    You can also ask our customer to be removed their probing list.

The argument is of course ridiculous.  DNS_VER is NOT less obtrusive than
any of the other options they mentioned.

As a side note, can people PLEASE stop sending their "out of office"
messages to people posting to this list?

--Bill
--billm () danger ms