Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Strange Happenings @Home

From: chris.wilson () ESECURITYINC COM (Chris Wilson)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 17:56:24 -0400

Hi Fred,

The bootp stuff is typically other @Home users getting their IP addresses
via DHCP.  Your firewall blocks and logs because the DHCP requests are sent
to the subnet's broadcast address, forcing your firewall to process them.

The high-numbered port hits could be scans for backdoor trojans; sometimes
doing a web search for the port number reveals a lesser-known backdoor
program.

For the 192.168.x.x addresses, try doing a traceroute to them to see if it's
just an internal subnet in the @Home intranet (likely, assuming you can get
a route to them).

I see a lot of all of the above in my Linux firewall logs on my Roadrunner
cable modem account at home, except the nonroutable addresses are typically
10.0.x.x (and appear to be internal Roadrunner network devices).

Just my $.02....

-Chris

Christopher Wilson
e-Security, Inc.
700 S. Babcock St., Suite 200
Melbourne, FL  32901
Email:  chris.wilson () esecurityinc com
Web:            http://www.esecurityinc.com/