Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft version.binding us now?

From: bejtlich () ALTAVISTA NET (Richard Bejtlich)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 01:08:43 -0000

Hello,

Great work tracking this 3DNS signature!  When I looked at
3DNS' F5 signatures last year, I found them using null 64
byte SYN packets to local name servers to try to test
latency.  Actual polls for BIND versions is very
interesting -- are the incoming packets TCP?  The vendor
said "It looks like an aborted zone transfer
normally, or a dns look-up that went wrong"; that sounds
like TCP to me.  Also, are your machines responding?

Richard Bejtlich

--

Same here, every +/- 4 minutes they poll for our
VERSION.BIND. I resolved