Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft version.binding us now?

From: fernando () BN PT (Fernando Cardoso)
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 09:40:51 +0100

Bind version queries and/or DNS zone transfers (6 tries this night from
a server in Austria) are quite popular in these "bind NXT bug" days.
Often they are exploratory manoeuvres from script kiddies trying to
crack your DNS server.

Make sure your nameservers are running bind 8.2.2-P5. Also, defining
acls for zone transfers might be a good idea.

Fernando

Fernando Cardoso                        Phone:  +351 21 7982186
Network Administrator           Fax:            +351 21 7982185
National Library                        E-mail: fernando () bn pt
Portugal                                PGP ID: 28551CB8