funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcastpop-ups)

From: chris () blask org
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:51:10 -0700 (PDT)

-- On Mon, 10/19/09, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

Oddly enough, for an "intractable" problem, most sites are
managing to deliver a reasonably acceptable user experience.

By the definition "not easily relieved or cured" it remains intractable for providers, though most users can mostly
ignore it today.  For those who need to/choose to try to actually *solve* the problem (iow - eliminate spam at the
root) it remains kind of like trying to catch a bag of wind.  While the remnant of difficulties experienced at the user
level is empirically pretty small, the likelihood of missing an important email due to over aggressive spam filtering
is, I would guess, nearly infinitely greater than missing one because of some other technical failure to deliver the
message.  At that level, even in the user space spam remains a bigger problem than most anything else.

I agree with you, though, about the premature announcements of the death of SMTP. I'd bet a bottle of reasonably good
of scotch that SMTP is clicking away five years from now.

-chris