funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcast pop-ups)

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 05:32:31 -0400

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 12:04:08PM -0500, Dan White wrote:
So if I have a customer on Facebook that sends sPaM to another Facebook
user (that happens to be using AOL), do I or AOL get the blame? No, even
though we blindly relayed that message.

If you relay spam, then you share a measure of the responsibility for it.
There is no "or", only an "and".  As I said, *nobody* gets a free pass:
everyone responsibile for emitting, supporting, or transmitting abuse
is on the hook for it.  The only debate (and it's not much of a debate,
because it'll never be settled) is in what proportion.

This is why responsible, professional people make sure that they don't
make a habit of doing so.  And why, on the other hand, many ignorant
newbies and/or selfish greedpigs can't wait to do more of it.

I'm proposing a little more thinking outside the box here. SMTP does need
to go way, and be replaced by something better: Something that does not
inherently suffer from the problems of SMTP today, but is based on
something with better two-way trust.

Protocol is irrelevant.  *Nothing* a known-compromised system does
can be trusted.

---Rsk