funsec mailing list archives

Re: Public Policy and Consumer ISP Hygiene (was Comcastpop-ups)

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:00:08 -0400 (EDT)

Equally appalling (to me, at least) has been the sharp decline in the
sense of responsibility among network and system operators.  [...]

It is this utter failure of responsibility, this profound negligence,
that I think is every bit as much a threat as The Bad Guys.  [...]

I entirely agree.

It's why I (mostly) got out of abuse-fighting: the rot goes, as far as
I can tell, clear to the top, and until the mismatch between authority
and responsibility - imposed responsibility, that is, since (as you
point out) self-assumed responsibility has failed to carry over through
the September that never ended and its associated changes - is fixed,
everything else is a holding action at best.  I am not a crusader, much
less a Quixotic crusader, and do not have the energy and stress
tolerance to sink into a losing holding action.

I now fear that it will take the collapse of the current Internet
governance structure to do any good; fixing it is looking less and less
likely - less likely for every day that passes with total apparent
inaction (total lack of effect, that is, as far as I can see) by the
current top of the pyramid.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org