Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: "Mike McNutt" <mike.mcnutt () aqssys com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 12:00:07 -0600

You own a car.  Day after day, you drive your car to work and routinely lock your car doors.  One day a thief steals
your car, crashes it in a hit and run... people are injured.  Do you share blame in the injuries of those people?

Same scenario... only today you didn't lock you car because <insert plausible excuse/reason here>.  Thief steals your
car that isn't locked, crashes it in a hit and run, people get injured.  Do you share blame in the injuries of those
people?

Not locking a car *may* be irresponsible, but to my knowledge it isn't illegal.  Making a law that says cars must
remain locked at all times to thwart car thieves would be oppresive IMO - because now [decent] people could be
considered criminals that may not lock their car for <insert plausible excuse/reason here> ... How different is it for
a computer that isn't "locked down"?

It doesn't make sense to me that we should we go down the path of considering people criminals because they do not (or
cannot) lock down their computers.  I like the energy being expended on fixing the vulnerabilities and finding the
hackers, but not oppressing normal people for their [lack of] computer knowledge.