Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

From: Abe Singer <abe () sdsc edu>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 15:33:24 -0800

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:01:18 -0500 (EST)
From: "R. DuFresne" <dufresne () sysinfo com>
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Botnets, IRC servers and firewalls?

egress filtering is basically what is being discussed here, and has long
been recommended, and long been rejected by the mass majority for quite
sometime.  On routers the complaint is that it takes up too many resources
and slows the box down to a crawl.  On the network it's been rejected for

[ And Abe arises from the mire where he has been silently lurking to say: ]

Where are the numbers that show the impact of egress filtering on a router?
I have heard this same argument many times.  Several networking people have
directly told me this, and said that there are number to back it up, but have
repeatedly failed to provide those numbers.  I'm starting to wonder if this
isn't just an urban legend.

If anyone has them, I'd love to see them.  Forgive me if this has been
discussed on fw-wiz in the past, and if so just point me at the articles
and I'll read 'em myself.

[ And Abe sinks back down into the mire to ponder more trivial things ]