Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password management tools

From: James Valente <jvalente () SALEMSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2016 15:58:46 +0000

Because we needed a quick solution that didn't cost a lot and our department
has maybe ~60 employees, a lot of which who wouldn't need access to the
shared passwords, we found that signing up for Passpack with accounts
(depending on the user) ranging from Free to Group suffices for us.

System owners can create and share the password with other employees in the
department as they deem necessary. If there is someone outside of the
department (marketing, or external contractor for example) we can email them
a link to view the password, then provide them with a PIN-out of band of
course-that allows them to actually see it.

It has worked relatively well for us since we don't have too many users
using it.  If I had more money to do so and a large enough group of users, I
think something like Thycotic secret server would work to solve it.

Thanks,
James Valente
Associate Director of Information Security
Salem State University
978.542.2739