Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPN Research

From: "King, Ronald A." <raking () NSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:57:54 -0400

1) What type of VPN are you using:  ipSEC VPN, SSN VPN, or other? IPSec and
SSL VPN (which redirects to IPSec) allowing users access to RDP.

2) What brand of VPN is it? Cisco

3) How many users do you have on the VPN? <30

4) What is the general satisfaction with the VPN product. Scale of 1
(Lowest) to 5 (Highest) we are 5.  The termination point has had a few
hickups with code revisions, but overall downtime is < 99.99%/yr (could
probably go higher 9s).  Cisco recently released a 64bit Win client we just
began testing.  Clients for MAC and Linux we have available with limited use
and no issues we are aware of.  VPNC works very well as a client on Linux
based devices.

Ronald King

Security Engineer

Norfolk State University

Marie V. McDemmond Center for Applied Research

Suite 401

700 Park Ave.

Norfolk, Virginia  23504

Phone:  757-823-3918