Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: VPN Research

From: Kevin Wilcox <wilcoxkm () APPSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:45:45 -0400

On 24 May 2010 10:58, Lynn Latimer <llatimer () uga edu> wrote:

1) What type of VPN are you using:  ipSEC VPN, SSN VPN, or other?

SSL VPN

2) What brand of VPN is it?

OpenVPN, run it on whatever hardware you like

3) How many users do you have on the VPN?

Approximately 100 staff/faculty, less than 20 concurrent, plus
approximately 30 vendor accounts (point-to-point and road-warrior
style)

4) What is the general satisfaction with the VPN product.

I love it. I can connect from my Macbook, my Windows machines and my
management machines that run various flavours of BSD. Windows 7/Vista
were sore points because it took a while for a client to be released.
Since it relies on a "correct" network setup, don't be surprised when
your off-campus users get certificate errors trying to send mail via
load-balanced IMAP when certificates/names don't match up (some
testing with Juniper devices has shown they modify the hosts file to
compensate for this).

kmw

--
Kevin Wilcox
Network Infrastructure and Control Systems