Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: Paul Kendall <PKendall () ACCUDATASYSTEMS COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:33:36 -0500

There are those of us in the security profession who have advocated this for a long time. However, users also have a
tendency to write their password down with every intention of putting it away securely, and then get distracted or
otherwise get busy and leave it on the desk or in the desk drawer. Hence the tendency away from writing it down.

Something you may not have thought about: several years ago (mainframe green-screen days) we had a situation where we
just absolutely knew this individual was writing down their password. Searched all over, could not find it. So one of
my team discreetly watched as they logged in one day. They entered username, and the adjusted the monitor slightly.
That's when he saw it - written in the dust on the screen.

Password vaults are generally a better way to do this, providing users will actually use them.

Paul
Paul L. Kendall, CGEIT, CHS-III, CISM, CISSP, CSSLP
Senior Consultant
Accudata Systems, Inc.