Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: Paul Kendall <PKendall () ACCUDATASYSTEMS COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:58:12 -0500

A rather simplistic answer posted to a Yahoo group, I must admit. We are talking as though this is the only line of
defense in the toolbox. And while there are better solutions out there, we see far too many instances where they are
not deployed. Which brings us back to the password issue. And frequently, it doesn't take key-loggers or social
reconnaissance exercises to extract this information. Remember, the vast majority of attacks occur from within.
Executives are notorious for not wanting to change passwords. So, over time, lots of folks gain potential access by
simply knowing what the CFO/COO/CEO password is. Not to mention the casual 'password pick-up' by simply listening to
folks or even shoulder-surfing. (which means folks are very likely not paying attention to their surroundings they way
they should).

Security awareness is also crucial to some success here as well. I estimate (based on a lot of years working with all
types of clients) that fewer than 7% do a reasonable job at security awareness training. There is no one specific
reason for this - I can't say it is due primarily to one thing over another. Corporate 'check-boxing' certainly plays a
role in it. Universities have their own unique issues to deal with here, which I won't even attempt to elaborate upon -
you know situation well enough already.

The bottom line remains the fact that regulatory bodies mandate it. The article failed to mention this. The users will
be asking 'why' for while. You folks had better things to do than respond to users on this issue. Chris Null didn't do
you any favors.

Paul
Paul L. Kendall, CGEIT, CHS-III, CISM, CISSP, CSSLP
Accudata Systems, Inc.