Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: Steve Werby <smwerby () VCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:24:49 -0400

On 4/14/2010 10:47 AM, Valdis Kletnieks wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:39:06 EDT, "Jones, Dan" said:

Strong passwords deter brute-forcing attacks (as does the practice of locking
an account after X number of failed login attempts).

Yes, but once the password reaches a not-too-large size, account locking is
quite sufficient to make brute-forcing impractical.

For a vertical attack, perhaps.  But if your usernames are the left-hand
side of your email addresses and the attacker can scrape email addresses
from the web or enumerate your address book, then perform a horizontal
or diagonal attack, brute force attacks are *very* practical.  GoHok1es
or Bl@cksburg?  And I suspect most universities don't have controls to
detect or mitigate such attacks.  My guess is that more guessed
university passwords involve attacks in which the attacker isn't too
particular about which accounts he acquires passwords to.

I consider the biggest password related failure of the information
security community to be that we demand that users memorize their
passwords (or alternately "don't write them down").  Sure, we don't want
them to attach them to their monitor or hide them under their keyboard,
but do we really believe there's a significant risk if they're kept in
their wallet inside their pocket and written down in a way that doesn't
clearly reveal them?  Or storing them in an encrypted password vault?
We're causing them to re-use passwords
(http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2009/03/10/password-website/) or
create passwords that follow a similar format, which puts the systems
we're trying to protect at significant risk.

Long + unique + write them down securely

Aging?  I agree there's value in limiting the length of time that an
attacker has undetected access.  But in terms of mitigating a brute
force attack, the math just doesn't support extremely frequent aging.

--
Steve Werby
Information Security Officer