Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Please do not change your password

From: Bob Bayn <bob.bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:23:23 -0600

 Steve Werby [smwerby () VCU EDU] wrote, in part:

I consider the biggest password related failure of the information security community to be that we demand that users
memorize their passwords (or alternately "don't write them down").  Sure, we don't want them to attach them to their
monitor or hide them under their keyboard, but do we really believe there's a significant risk if they're kept in their
wallet inside their pocket and written down in a way that doesn't clearly reveal them?  Or storing them in an encrypted
password vault?  We're causing them to re-use passwords (http://www.sophos.com/blogs/gc/g/2009/03/10/password-website/)
or create passwords that follow a similar format, which puts the systems we're trying to protect at significant risk.

=============
When we went from 4 char minimum passwords with no expiration about 2 years ago, our new "strong" password instructions
included this recommendation:

"If you need to write down your password do not leave it near your computer and NEVER include the username and password
on the same document.  Keep your password with other information that you guard carefully, like your drivers license
and credit cards."

ref:
http://it.usu.edu/security/htm/passwords

Bob Bayn        (435)797-2396      Security Team coordinator
  Don't let hackers use your computer when you aren't.
  Turn off your computer at the end of your work day.
Office of Information Technology   at  Utah State University