Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SSL Certificate Comparisons

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 09:40:22 -0400

Hi,

We've been distributing InstantSSL server certs from Comodo for over a year after switching from Verisign. As others
have said, the Verisign price discouraged its use among lighter traffic website admins. Now, such sites tend to
implement SSL which is now good practice to combat phishing. I don't know that I understand the price gap between
Verisign and others - someone told me it's strictly a trust thing - organizations are willing to pay that premium for
the Verisign name.

We're also looking at encouraging and supporting the use of S/MIME certs for targeted user groups here - those who are
conducting business with the external-facing world. I'd be interested to hear experience in this area.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager - Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto