Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Remotely check login status

From: "Jeremi Gosney" <Jeremi.Gosney () motricity com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:02:33 -0800

I guess it depends on your organization, but your administrator(s) should have privileges on your system. Either way,
if your organization uses any sort of SSO like LDAP or AD then anyone should be able to do what you're asking.

If you have a Linux system you probably authenticate through LDAP, which means unless you have otherwise denied them
access anyone on the domain can authenticate to your system and run 'who', 'w', or 'last'. Even if you have explicitly
denied all users but yourself access to your system through PAM, the root LDAP user will still have access to your
system.

If you have a Windows system, anyone on the domain will be able to use a tool like 'psloggedon' to see if you're logged
in. In fact, nearly all of the Sysinternals PsTools should work for an unprivileged user with the exception of maybe
psexec, psshutdown, and pssuspend, which means that anyone in the office should be able to not only see that you're
logged in, but what processes are running, what services are started, and view the event log on your machine.

Of course, if you are bringing a laptop to work every day then all someone has to do to see if you're in the office is
ping your laptop :)