Security Basics mailing list archives

Remotely check login status

From: Christian Eibl <chreibl () gmx de>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:41:46 +0100

Hi all,

I was wondering, if there exist means of checking remotely whether someone
is already logged onto the system. Since most modern systems today need
users to input their authentication data instead of automatically provide
full access, there obviously are different states in the operating systems,
i.e., just completely started up or even with users active in the system.

This question does not aim at a specific OS but is meant for all systems.
The most obvious way of such checks would consist of specific network
services only started by certain users on the systems. Well, I am no
Windows geek, but I could also imagine that file or printer sharing
together with this port 139 / 445 stuff could provide information about
this, but I am not sure...

Anyone an idea how or whether this is possible? It is especially interesting
concerning privacy within networks.

Regards,
Christian