Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Remotely check login status

From: Meta Junkie <metajunkie () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:30:10 -0500

perhaps you could find some way to wrap some security around "finger".

or perhaps only allow finger within an area you can only get to via a
secure vpn.

you might want to google for some unix or linux man pages describing
the use of finger - it can be used remotely.

I wouldn't use finger as it was originally designed - without any
security... but I believe it does what you are looking for (in a very
unsecure way if open to the Internet)

good luck

Metajunkie
PS
there is a whole suite of programs that we usually "outlaw" because
they are too friendly (read: unsecure). They might be of interest to
you though. Collectively you might find them referred to as "the
Berkley "R" functions.  They are very functional - but they were built
back in "simpler times" ;)  without somehow mitigating the risks they
introduce, they should not be used.