Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Remotely check login status

From: Christian Eibl <chreibl () gmx de>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 11:39:09 +0100

Hi all,

thank you for your suggestions on this topic.

Maybe I can re-formulate the problem I was thinking about:
I thought about possibilities to check whether a user is currently
logged onto a system that cannot be directly accessed by the
controller himself. This means, assuming I am allowed to configure my
office computer just as I like, e.g., using Linux while all other
boxes run Windows or similar. Has anyone on the network, e.g., the
admin or my boss, any possibility to check whether I am already (or
still) in my office? Again, the other way round would be interesting
as well, so Windows on remote machines is also to be considered. Don't
get me wrong, I would be glad if this cannot be done, but I am curious
about this issue and have no further idea...

The already mentioned tools all seem to depend on access privileges to
the remote computer which cannot be assumed here. Does anybody also
know how to check login status in such a scenario? The mentioned tools
do not seem to work correctly with this. Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Christian