Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Erasing private files from Windows XP.

From: Eugene Nine <enine () ninefamily com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:43:07 -0500

On Monday 29 January 2007 18:14, Yousef Syed wrote:
Private Files == Browsing (email/shopping/online banking) on
Firefox/IE; music, pictures, video and assorted other docs.

I'm probably most concerned about the online banking and any account
infor for Amazon etc.
I know that short of physicaly destroying the HD nothing is truely
safe, but I just want some peace-of-mind that I've done the minimum
and haven't missed anything else obvious that anyone else could
suggest.

If your really that worried about it then the cost is pretty low compared to
the cost of data.  Buy a new laptop drive and stick it in and hold on to the
one that is in there.  I usually buy my laptops with the smallest available
from the manufacturer anyway because I can buy a larger one than what they
offer and swap it out when I first get the laptop so the original is sitting
around doing nothing.