Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Erasing private files from Windows XP.

From: Henry Troup <htroup () acm org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:55:05 -0500

Sounds fairly good - When you cleaned up in "C:\Documents and Settings",  did you get the hidden "Application Data"
hierarchy that's a sibling of "My Documents" for each user?  This is the place that, for example, Outlook stores the
actual mailboxes.  (It tends also to be the place where "mysterious megabtyes" accumulate.)

I'm assuming that you did this cleanup with Windows set to show hidden files and directories.

I don't have an actual checklist to hand.

--
Henry Troup
htroup () acm org

 On Sun Jan 28 10:01 , 'Yousef Syed' <yousef.syed () gmail com> sent:

Hi,
Can someone please point me to a checklist of all the places that
Windows XP might store personal information?

I need to return my Laptop for a repair and would like to ensure that
no personal or client information is hiding anywhere.

I've erased "My Documents" and various other directories in the
"C:\Documents and Settings" directory; plus all directories that I
created myself.

I've run CCleaner to clear out all the Temp files, Cookies etc...

However, my experience of Windows is that it has a tendency to store
data all over the place.

Furthermore, does anyone have any policies in place for when corporate
PCs are sent to a third-party to be repaired?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
ys

--
Yousef Syed
"To ask a question is to show ignorance; not to ask a question, means