Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Erasing private files from Windows XP.

From: intel96 <intel96 () bellsouth net>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:06:58 -0500

If the laptop is not being returned to you then wipe the disk clean
using something like WipeDisk.  This wipes the disk clean, no OS, no
nothing.

I do this every time I return a laptop for maintenance or back to IT
when I am leaving a project or the company.

Yousef Syed wrote:
Hi,
Can someone please point me to a checklist of all the places that
Windows XP might store personal information?

I need to return my Laptop for a repair and would like to ensure that
no personal or client information is hiding anywhere.

I've erased "My Documents" and various other directories in the
"C:\Documents and Settings" directory; plus all directories that I
created myself.

I've run CCleaner to clear out all the Temp files, Cookies etc...

However, my experience of Windows is that it has a tendency to store
data all over the place.

Furthermore, does anyone have any policies in place for when corporate
PCs are sent to a third-party to be repaired?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
ys