Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Erasing private files from Windows XP.

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:45:37 +0000

It is a fairly new laptop (3>months) that that has developed a
hardware problem (power-supply/battery) so I expect to get the same
system back but with a new power-supply. I know that they will
reinstall the system before they start testing and that they want the
entire laptop to ensure their tests work correctly.

It doesn't contain any classified client work/data on it, though it
did have plenty personal data.

I've been making a monthly image (using Acronis) of the system since I
got it, so backing it up was easy.
I ran CCleaner on the temp/cookies and registry etc.
I ran Eraser over all the personal directories I mentioned earlier in
the earlier post + all the locations that everyone has mentioned -
THANKS.

My main problem is (and it has been my pet hate of Windows for some
years now) that I have no control or knowledge of where else it
chooses to "hide" data or how the various installer programs work. On
many occasions I've uninstalled various apps only find that the
Registry still stores information about them, months later (even after
I've run CCleaner).

Any extra advice would be great; but I think I've done everything that
I can for now.

Thanks All,
ys