Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: What firewall for small medical research lab

From: Smith <smith () confuciun com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 17:31:39 -0700

I agree with Jordan Dallas 110%, go with OpenBSD. Ignore the Gentoo suggestion, not because there is anything bad about gentoo but because of the amount of time and maintence involved to go that route. When I wanted to learn firewalls and vpns, I researched Linux solutions and got so fed up reading how firewall and vpn features must be compiled into the kernel. I knew nothing about firewalls so I had a hard time learning firewalls/vpn's because of iptables and ipchains horrible syntax. Then I found OpenBSD and stayed with it since. OpenBSD has firewall and vpn compiled in and the syntax really is easy to learn. Plus OpenBSD and Checkpoint (the best commercial firewall) were the first to have stateful inspection when all the other guys like linux, sonicwall, and cisco pix had it a few years later if they even have it at all. If you don't know what stateful inspection means, lets just say its a very important firewall feature. You know what else, once you learn how to install OpenBSD by reading their FAQ, it takes literally 5 to 10 minutes to install a full blown system (which also means full blown fiirewall/vpn). Compare that to spending days/weeks just to get gentoo up and running and CONFIGURED! As far as cost, $45 for OpenBSD if you want to support their cause by buying their CD or get it for free via ftp and take any old computer system preferably a Pentium II or better with two or three nic cards. Compare that to the other suggestions.

And before anybody flames me about some of the things I said, please note everything I said above (except about OpenBSD) is based off the situation as it stood back around 2002. I know a lot has changed now that it's 2006. So in 2002 I chose OpenBSD and never regretted it.

rmillisl () millis-it com wrote:
I have been asked to research what good, low cost, firewall solutions
might prove suitable for a medical research lab at a local University to
protect confidential patient data from outsiders.

In addition to other research I though I would ask here.

I realize a firewall is just one component of an overall security policy /
implementation.

Basically what is needed is a simple NAT box that generally keeps
outsiders out, and allows authorized lab servers and workstations to
access certain services out on the main building network (DNS, IMAP, POP,
SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, SSH) and through that network to the Internet
(through the main building campus/network).

Cost is a very important factor so suggested solutions have been:

- Pay someone to set up a PC based firewall running on surplus hardware
using either Fedora Core 5 and Shorewall 3.0.6 (to allow easy
configuration of iptables rules).  The hardware and software cost are low.
The time could add up. I have considerable experience with this so this
would be the lowest learning curve. Problem is Fedora with its frequent
updates may make managing this more of a chore.

- Pay someone to set up a a PC based firewall running on surplus hardware
using either OpenBSD 3.7 or 3.8 and pf. The hardware and software cost are
low. The time could add up. I have some OpenBSD experience and no pf
background.

- Pay someone to set up a a Linksys or D-Link broadband
switch/firewall/router. The hardware cost is low. The time to set up may
be minimal (Plug&Play + some common sense and provided firewall/filter
capabilities). Are these a serious and secure enough solution?

- Some other low cost hardware or software based alternative. What else
might be out there that I don't know about that might be comparable in
cost to the D-Link or Linksys options.

The PC based solutions I personally have the most confidence in with
respect to hand crafting a minimal OS build and hardening and patching the
OS and doing rules mostly by hand. With pf there is some concern of errors
introduced due to learning curve.

Comments? Suggestions?