Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tunnelling?

From: Kenton Smith <listsks () yahoo ca>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:03:21 -0400 (EDT)

This one is a bit of a can of worms. I'm guessing
you're not a security professional so excuse me if
there is stuff here you already know.
If your company is blocking ports there is very likely
a policy that makes it against company rules to try
and circumvent this port block. If they don't have a
policy, they should otherwise they shouldn't be able
to refuse a request to open the port. There are few
things Sys Admins and security pros hate more than
users trying to get around security measures that are
in place to protect said users and the company that
employs them.

My suggestion:
Go to your IT department and ask if they will open
that port for you. If they won't they should be able
to give you a reasonable explanation why.

There are ways to circumvent most port blocks and a
quick Google search will probably give you more than
enough answers.

Kenton

--- mike () mikesworld com wrote:

Hi

Quick question!

My situation is i have remoteley anywhere running on
my home pc, however when i try and connect to my pc
from work it wont connect, for example in the url
bar i type http://<IP>:2000

i think work maybe blocking port 2000, is there any
other way i could connect to my home pc?

thanks

Don't leave your confidential company and customer
records un-protected.
Try Webroot's Spy Sweeper Enterprise(TM) for 30 days
for FREE with no
obligation. See why so many companies trust Spy
Sweeper Enterprise to
eradicate spyware from their networks.
FREE 30-Day Trial of Spy Sweeper Enterprise

http://www.webroot.com/forms/enterprise_lead.php