Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: What firewall for small medical research lab

From: gun_mortimer () yahoo com
Date: 1 May 2006 19:02:20 -0000

The starting point should be to determine the level of risk of intrusion ... instead you start out with the technical
solution... The technical solution should be balanced with risk ... from a small lab to a multinational ...

But anyway, as the others identified, two ways to go, commercial or 'free' with open source and/or similar solutions. I
would suggest Astaro, we used it at the organisation I work for because we got extremely tired of a very expensive
firewall product with a big reputation but similar size problems (at that time ...). We've been very happy with the
Astaro, not as expensive as the big firewall brands, but on the other hand not as inexpensive as some open source
products of course. But as I said, risk should determine what you want to pay ...

You can find it at www.astaro.com. You can get a trial to try it out which is what we initally did... We discovered it
did a number of things straight away that the other big firewall was supposed to do - the problem was this big thing
didn't work 'as advertised' ...

Cheers,

G.