Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Tunnelling?

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers <bugtraq () planetcobalt net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 19:58:41 +0200

On 2006-04-28 mike () mikesworld com wrote:
My situation is i have remoteley anywhere running on my home pc,
however when i try and connect to my pc from work it wont connect, for
example in the url bar i type http://<IP>:2000

i think work maybe blocking port 2000, is there any other way i could
connect to my home pc?

If only 2000/tcp is needed, you can try to tunnel it through SSH and
have the sshd listen on a remote machine on a non-blocked port (e.g.
80/tcp). However, I strongly recommend that you ask your admin. Blocking
port 2000 outbound may be done for a reason. If you try to bypass that
without permission you may be violating your employer's policy.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."