Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: [unisog] OT: Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

From: "Thomas D." <whistl0r () googlemail com>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 00:31:47 +0200

Hello,

I guess those drives must be tightly integrated with the laptop
itself? Via some sort of trusted computing controler? If so, what
laptop vendors do support this? Probably IBM... but how about others?
Passwords are not too safe so how about smart card support? How does
that work? Again probably very integrated with the laptop.

I would recommend software, which will fully encrypt your harddisk drive. If
your laptop will be lost, you won't have to think about any data left...

I recommend "Utimaco SafeGuard Easy" (www.utimaco.com).
Here a list of other software products:

* DriveCrypt (www.securstar.com)
* PGP Desktop 9.0 Professional
(http://www.pgp.com/products/desktop/professional/index.html)
* TrueCrypt, OpenSource (www.truecrypt.org)

For myself I am using "Utimaco SafeGuard Easy" on my IBM Thinkpad.
Since version 4.20, it will use the implemented TPM-chip...
But without TPM, it also safe ;-)

--
Whistl0r