Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

From: mikem () mentges org
Date: 17 May 2006 19:08:28 -0000

Murad Talukdar -

It is reasons like yours that democracy exists.
It is your right in the USA (if so you live here) and several other countries to evaluate anything you want on any
system attaching to something you own. (I am not very knowledgeable about other countries IT policies.)
I feel as the owner of any network system that one must take it upon themselves to monitor/maintain/evaluate your
network constantly for possible threats or rogue devices. If the proper steps are taken to ensure proper client
registration/authentication/verification then all unknown devices should be identified in any way possible to prevent
unauthorized/malicious content. If your wireless is seeing too many users try reducing your signal strength, and if it
is for a neighbors benefit I suggest cutting them off.
As security moves forward it is a matter of time before "IP tapping" begins (It already is beginning for some of you I
know). With that said every time you call tech support and give them your name, address or even in some cases your SS#
they place that information in to a database that accesses all information they need to identify you and the hardware
they installed or you registered at your house. Somewhere in your agreement you signed (digitally or physical) it
states you are responsible for anything connected to the device. So I ask you, is it still an issue to find out who is
using your internet access at all times? What would happen if your guest grabbed some child pornography, yes you would
have some definite issues that is for certain. Or with the laws on "National Security" you have someone jump on your
network, download plans for a nuclear attack all the while spoofing your machine just because they need to hide. It is
not very hard and could happen more than you o
 r I would want to know. Now I know this might sound paranoid or obsessive compulsive but what happens when you get
raided and they take everything and scare the hell out of your family/friends. No they don’t give you your stuff back
and you might get off without any issues. That is if you can prove you don’t know who is on your system.
Please do what you can to secure your information; convenience is not always a good thing!