Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 05:54:25 +1000

Hi
First and sorry for the misunderstanding, but LE = law enforcement

"But I'm not talking about "remotely" attacking a server.  I'm talking about
anything on  MY network" In the case of a physical server this may be true that it is on your server and with certain
exceptions and to the policy of the site you may be able to attack it if it is physically on the site with impunity.

In the case from the subject and thread you can not. A wireless host is not on your network. A lease of an IP address
is at best an assignment of license and you have no rights to attack it. You have a right to extinguish the license.

In Canada (CA) there are statues concerning access to radio frequency media. Wireless networking is included. By
attacking a remote wireless host you are breaching the criminal codes.

Even in CA, you have the right to detain only to hold for the police. Not just as they trespassed

Regards
Craig