Security Basics mailing list archives

Encrypted traffic dropped?

From: barcajax () gmail com
Date: 18 May 2006 02:56:29 -0000

I have recently installed SimpLite-MSN software (http://www.secway.fr/us/products/simplite_msn/) to encrypt my IM
messages. For this software to work, it requires both the sender and receipient to both have this software installed
and running during the IM session. SimpLite behaves as a proxy so MSN Messenger talks to SimpLite locally and SimpLite
will exchange traffics with the MSN network. How this works is that public keys of both parties are exchanged for
authentication purposes and the IM messages are encrypted with symmetric AES 128 bit encryption.
I convinced friends to start using this software to encrypt all our chats. Only one friend (located in UAE) has
problems when using SimpLite. We are able to exchange public keys but subsequently after that, that friend is not able
to send or receive IM messages. Seems that his ISP is able to recognise that the packets that are being exchanged are
encrypted and dropped accordingly because he is able to resume using MSN Messenger only after turning off SimpLite.
Is my hypothesis correct? If yes, would anyone hazard a guess how the ISP is doing so?