Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Wireless Security (Part 2)

From: Murad Talukdar <talukdar_m () subway com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 21:15:53 -0400

Hi Herman,
I don't think you'd get what you wanted from ipconfig /all-it would show you gateways/dns etc but not other machines
that are connected to yours. Netstat could do that. Your router may have some ability to show connections in a gui or
even in the logs.
You could possibly use arp to work out MAC addresses too. Working out IP's on a wireless network is only part of the
solution though--where are they physically? You'd need some kind of tool to narrow that down. I know Netstumbler is
good for checking AP's but don't know if it can be used to find wireless NIC's that are connected. Might be worth
investigating--someone else on the list may be better at telling you that. As ever, change the keys for the SSID often
if it is using WEP or go to WPA if the router has the capability.
Good luck.