Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: chat logs

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:38:49 -0400

I've been watching this thread since the beginning.  I have held back
from commenting because most comments have been fairly reasonable.

This one below is rediculous.  While of course I understand the right to
privacy, aren't we forgetting that the children are using resources
bought and paid for by the parents.  The parents essentially own those
resources and can do what they like with them.  But that's not the issue
I want to focus on here.  The below mentioned response states that we
"are all overreacting" and that "this type of action might be warranted
had an actual bomb been found, or went off."  This is TOTALLY the wrong
attitude.  "Anyone remember J Edgar Hoover?", what is this about?
Anyone remember COLUMBINE or 9/11.  We are talking about ensuring the
safety of our children and our community.  If we have the potential to
avoid a major catastrophe or violent act (especially when we have a
clue, i.e. threats on students and the school) the we should do whatever
we can to investigate.  These are our childrens lives at stake.  I see
nothing wrong in poking around in a computer I purchased for my child to
make sure they are not the culprit.  There is a problem in our (US)
Society today where children are raised to raise themselves.  The
economy often requires that both parents work to make ends meet and
provide for their family.  This leaves the children home to do what they
please.  With the plethora of information on the internet regarding bomb
making, home made guns, etc., it's easy for children/young adults to get
into trouble.  (Heck, I once found an Al Queida manual online).  They
often don't realize the consequences of their actions. Anyway.  The
point I am trying to get across is that if you can stop any violent act
simply by reading some chat logs the by all means do so.  It will be too
late when you read them after your kid is dead.

$.02 deposited.

Probably time to end this thread as it's getting OT.

-JMB