Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re: chat logs

From: "David" <david () clicksee net>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 09:22:27 +0700

I must disagree with this line from Ms. Fischer- 'if they are doing
nothing wrong, then there is nothing to hide and have "private".'

How would you respond if your boss wanted to read your email and monitor
the web sites you went to and read your IM's under the same philosophy?

I love my wife and she loves me and we trust each other greatly and yet
she still doesn't want to poop if I'm in the bathroom even though there
is nothing 'wrong' going on. :) i.e. even children deserve some privacy.

Choosing their friends and having relationships with those friends is
part of growing up and learning to socialize and keeping total control
over that will stagnate that process. Balance is the key word here I
think and monitoring communications considered private is going to far
just as having a child carry an electronic listening device would be
going too far.

I agree with Mihai's sentiment. How about the parents explain to the
kids what the security situation is and go through the emails and chat
logs together? Maybe even show the kids how to run searches using
scripts and teach them some computer stuff?

An interesting dilemma as to how far to go with things. I think it's a
bit different with K-12 kids though. With a kindergartener, yeah, the
parents should probably just go ahead and search through their files
unasked. With a 12 year old that could really touch off a fire-storm.
"Dad, how could you just totally violate my privacy like that?"