Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: chat logs

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 19:09:58 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Beauford, Jason wrote:
Probably time to end this thread as it's getting OT.

I think that the problem is much deeper than it seems: the problem is
in correct estimation of the risks involved. ``Beyond Fear'' said it
very well (quote from http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram-0505.html):

``Modern mass media, specifically movies and TV news, has degraded our
sense of natural risk. We learn about risks, or we think we are
learning, not by directly experiencing the world around us and by
seeing what happens to others, but increasingly by getting our view of
things through the distorted lens of the media. [...] The global reach
of today's news further exacerbates this problem. If a child is
kidnapped in Salt Lake City during the summer, mothers all over the
country suddenly worry about the risk to their children. If there are
a few shark attacks in Florida -- and a graphic movie -- suddenly
every swimmer is worried. (More people are killed every year by pigs
than by sharks, which shows you how good we are at evaluating risk.)''

--
Regards,
ASK