Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: chat logs

From: "Steve Bostedor" <Steveb () tshore com>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:13:11 -0400

Simply put, children do not have the same right to privacy as adults.
How can you raise a child right while giving them all of the benefits of
being an adult before their ready?

When I was growing up, it was very clear that my privacy was a privilege
and not a right.  My parents where more concerned with my safety and
upbringing than in my "right" to hide things from them.

With that being said, you should still give the child the illusion of
privacy.  Don't just walk into their room and start going through things
and if you do spy, don't let them know that you are doing so unless
there is something discovered that is dangerous to them.  They do need
to feel like they have private space in order to feel secure.

However, if you suspect something, your right to be a good parent trumps
their right to privacy every time.  Don't be a pansy parent that is too
scared to make their child mad at them.  There are too many of them out
there already and that's why we have the problems that we have today.
These after school special TV programs that make the spying parent a
villain only perpetuate the problem.  It's the parent who lets their
child go into the world unready who is the villain.  It's the parent of
the missing child that could have been saved if the parent just cared
enough to invade the privacy.

If you're a parent ... Be one.