Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sendmail virus scanner

From: Brad Arlt <arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:46:59 -0600

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 03:03:58PM -0300, felix () eurasia qodiga com wrote:
Hello,

  I'm looking for a virus scanner to use under sendmail. Do you know if
  there are any script or daemon to do that?.

There are a few.  http://www.amavis.org is the one I am using

  I want to parse all mails looking for .exe, .vbs or some others file
  attachments to block it (not to block emails, just block the
  attachment).

MimeDefang (web address un-remembered, look on www.milter.org or
www.spamassassin.org for a link)

Virus scanning and MIME filtering are two different things.  Just keep
in mind that not all things that will run in Outlook automatically are
labeled clearly with "filter me, I am an executable".

   __o          Bradley Arlt                    Security Team Lead
 _ \<_          arlt () cpsc ucalgary ca                University Of Calgary
(_)/(_)         I should be biking right now.   Computer Science