Security Basics mailing list archives

NetBIOS Messenger spam - how did it get in?

From: Damon McMahon <inst_karma () hotmail com>
Date: 25 Oct 2002 09:36:09 -0000

Greetings,

The gateway host of my small workgroup has just become
a 'victim' of the recent spate of SPAM using the
NetBIOS Messenger Service. However, I'm seeking advice
on how it managed to get through what I thought was a
reasonably secure gateway.

The gateway is a Windows 2000 host which connects to
the internet via an external IP dynamically assigned by
my ISP, and to an internal network via a 192.168.0.0/24
IP assigned by the Windows Internet Connection Sharing
service.

I have ZoneAlarm Pro installed on the gateway, which
allows NetBIOS traffic over the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet
but rejects NetBIOS traffic from any other IP. This
rule is explicitly defined in the ZA Pro configuration,
and appears to be working as the ZA Pro logs are full
of rejected packets from internet IPs attempting to
access NetBIOS ports on the host.

From what I understand, such a firewall configuration
should discard any traffic to ports 135, 137-139 from
any hosts not on the internal network. Clearly there
has been a breach.

The only possible explanation I can conceive is that
the source of the NetBIOS message spoofed it's IP
address to be in the 192.168.0.0/24 range:

1. Is this possible? I would have thought any packet
with such a spoofed IP address would be deemed
non-routable by any of the routers between the source
host and mine, and hence would never make it to my host?

2. If this is possible, is there any inexpensive
[preferably free!] method of configuring Windows 2000
(with or without ZA Pro) to filter packets on the basis
of interface as well as IP address? For example, BSD
variants come with an inbuilt firewall called ipfw
which enables you to construct a rule denying all
packets with an address 192.168.0.0/24 from passing via
the external interface, while allowing such packets to
pass via the internal interface.

3. Are there any other explanations for this intrusion?

Any advice will be most appreciated. Please email me on
inst_karma A T hotmail D O T com if you require more
detailed information.