Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Newbie: OpenBSD security

From: Omas Jakobsson <omas.jakobsson () corren se>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:23:34 +0200

Well...

You should read up on systrace included with OpenBSD, in case you want
to sandbox for example Apache, so that it also in a sense can under the
right circumstances protect from some unknown attack.

If you like an SMS message sent you if a problem occurs, the first thing
you should do is to think about wich messages you want sent to you
(there is alot you know) and then find an mobileoperator who can give
you an mailaccount that passes on all incoming mail at a certain address
as SMS to your phone.

After that, a quick look on how OpenBSD handles sending out mail when an
error occurs (syslog.conf is a good tip)

You can also watch your machine even closer with Snort
(http://www.snort.org), a very good IDS(Free)

Regards

/Omas Jakobsson

His Imperial Majesty Christopher Calderon skrev:

     I am new to OpenBSD and other Unices. I have some Linux experience. I
can install the operating system, install software, delete software,
add/rm users, etc. How can I strengthen OpenBSD's good security even more?
I would like it as tight as possible. I will probably be the only user on
the system. I can see myself SSH'ing in and maybe running Apache. Is there
software out there that could allow SMS messages to my cell phone to let
me know my OpenBSD box at my house is OK and not compromised, or is my
crown on my head put on too tightly?

 Cheers,

H.I.M Christopher Calderon