Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: SETI@Home - Safe or Exploitable?

From: "Trevor Cushen" <Trevor.Cushen () sysnet ie>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 10:21:51 +0100

I know that products like Ettercap can spoof DNS to trick a workstation
into going to one site when it wanted to go to another.  If someone was
to set this up knowing that your workstation will want to go to Seti and
then they direct them to another site.  Could they trick your computer
into downloading files.  I think Seti might do MD5 checks on the files
but worth checking.  After that how would they get the falsly downloaded
files to run if they were executable???.  Purely a theory but I
wonder????

Trevor Cushen
Sysnet Ltd

www.sysnet.ie